Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Whats going on

Last weekend I had my second squash tournament. It was the club championships and again I was playing the D division. Since I'm still considered a beginner at the club I really had no choice on this, I would have prefered to play in the C division. However, it is what it is, and this is how it went.

My first match was on friday night. Of course, as usual, it was against and older gentleman. Not sure exactly how old, but he had gray hair and looked to be maybe 50? just a guess. Anyways, while warming up, this is where i size everyone up, it looked like it could be a decent match. The first game was a good one. I was a little nervous so that might have helped to keep it even. We battled back and forth for a little while. I was up in the game and he made a come back to take it to 8-8 and eventually I won the game 10-9. This is good, I haven't had a good match in a while. Then my serve started to work. I got in a vrey nice groove with the serve and the next thing I know I win the game 9-2. Took the next one 9-0, and my night is over. The guys that I'm playing against can't handle a certain type of serve, which I have been working on, and this proved it. Nice, i'm on to the semis.

Next match was against a guy I had played for my very first match months ago. He kicked my ass then. Not this time. I made sure I beat this guy just for my own head. If i lost to him I would have considered the last few months a bust with no imporvement. Again, my serve was on fire and he didn't have a chance. The games went 9-3, 9-1, 9-0. What a joke. Every point was the same as my last match. Basically my great serve, a defensive return from the other guy, then i just hit a easy drop shot that had no chance of being picked up. My serve would freeze the guy in the back corner and then i would just drop in the front opposite corner, no chance for him.

So i'm into my first finals. This match i knew would be a good one. I was playing someone I played in the last tourny I was in, and we had an amazing match last time. Both of us have imporved since so I was looking forward to this one. Now i'm playing a guy who was in his late 30;s maybe and actually athletic, finally the competition I'm looking for. I'll mention this was my second match in a day, never realized i would be so tired for the second one. We had a good match. Back and forth every game. Unfortunatly, I lost. I lost the first 2 games, won the third game, but couldn't pull out the 4th to take it to 5. Just didn't have the energy, and honestly, He out played this time. I was controlling the "T" the whole game, thats a good thing. Except my drop shot wasn't working for me so I couldn't take advantage of it. I resorted o hit long lengths to his back hand over and over again in an attempt to get him to make a mistake. Unfortunatly, his hbackhand was pretty good and he was making good defensive returns. I've spoken with my intrusctor about this. Next week we are going to work on volley drop shot. Had I been able to drop from the back or middle of the court I could have killed this guy, but i don't know how to do that very well yet. Of course I'll work on this and get good at it, but it will take some time. I will defintly need it cause I'm going to be moving up a division now that i can out play that division. So progress was made even though i finished second.

Tonight I play in another finals. My league that I was so excited about is finished tonight. I am playing the girl I beat for my first game, Denise, for the championship of the monday night d league. I never really mentioned this league cause it was to easy. I went 9-1 for the year, and lost 5 games including the one loss I had. Aside from my 2 mathces against the girls, every other one was a waste of time. I'll give an update tomorrow with how I do tonight.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

It's about time you wrote a blog post...it's not like you have anything else going on in your life right now.

Oh, I forgot...you're probably doing research for next year's fantasy football five months in advance.

11:50 AM

 
Blogger Toast said...

Harry said:

Of course, as usual, it was against and older gentleman. Not sure exactly how old, but he had gray hair and looked to be maybe 50? just a guess.

Matt, I didn't know you played squash.

4:12 PM

 
Blogger Matt said...

Har har.

11:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home