Thursday, May 08, 2008

Did I really just do that?

On tuesday I headed up north (actually just a little north of tornoto) the The Club at Bond Head to play in the Ontario Mid-Am qualifier. This being my first time playing and my first season truly teasting myself in competitive golf I wasn't expecting much other then gaining the experience for fututre tournys.

This can play as a long difficult course will over 7000 yards and a high rating over 140, but they had moved the tees up and cut the yardage down to match the other site where people were qualifiying. So we played at a 131 slope at about 6400 yards. The course had some big changes in elevation thoughout the course but the real challenge was on the green. Lots of undulation and a lot of the pins were either on the crest of a mound or justin the middle of the mound, can't remember and easy pin out there.

Started off a little nervous on the first hole leaving my birdie putt way short and missing the par putt to make boogie. Still nervous on the second hole missed a 2 footer for boogie making a double. Calmed down a little on the par 3 third hole when i drained a 30 footer for par. Took a big sigh of relief after that one. But couldn't put thing together making boogie on the next 3 holes. Thats when things got crazy. On the 7th hole par 5 I swing away with my driver and blast a big bomb down the middle of the fairway. Another guy in my group does the same and ends up right near me. This guy had to the be the most annoying person in the world talking the whole freaking time in my ear. Wish i didn't ride in the same cart as him. We get up to our ball play up the hole and when I get to the green and mark my ball i look down and realize it wasn't my ball. I had played the wrong ball. At first I look back to where i chipped up to the green just thinking I played the wrong ball, no big deal I go back find mine and continue. While I'm looking around the fucking guy who has been yaking in my ear all day takes a ball out of his pocket and sees my green dot on it. FUCK. I couldn't believe it we played each others ball after we teed off. At first this guy tries to say that all we do is switch back balls and chip again onto the green. But after some more swearing from me I tell him we have to go all the way back to our second shot and replay the hole with a 2 stroke penalty. I was so pissed and so embarresed at the same time. There was a group waiting to hit to the green, and a group that had just teed off. so we had to go back behind 2 groups and push them off to the side while we replayed the hole. From 350 yards out i put all my anger in to a rescue club and knock it to 100 yards out. Then i step up to the easy pitch shot and duff that followed by a lot of bad words very loudly while all these people watch. I eventually got up and down for a boogie plus 2 strokes and all of a sudden I'm 9 over after 7 holes. Pissed beyond belief I just start pounding the ball from here on out. No matter how short or how long the hole I just hit the ball as far as i could in the general direction of the green. What i found was not one single missed drive from there. Everyone almost 300 yards and dead down the middle. So i started to play well. I went 4 over for the rest of the round and really should have been maybe 2 over the rest of the round cause I took 1 or 2 chances I normally wouldn't have which cost me.

I went 46 on the front and 40 on the back to shoot a 86 which was atleast 8 strokes off the cut. I finshed T-53 out of 60 people. Not the results I was looking for, but atleast I didn't finish last.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Keep it up...the good scores will come!

1:49 PM

 
Blogger Toast said...

Meh, it happens.

By the way, I think i've let it go on long enough. A hole where you score one over par is spelled BOGEY. Please update all past posts on this blog to reflect that you did not make boogies. Yes, there are thousands.

That is all.

9:23 AM

 
Blogger Harris said...

hahah. thats a great point, I never even noticed. But i think for the sake of continuity in the blog I will continue to spell it boogie.

10:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home