Monday, May 12, 2008

Weekend of horrible golf

EDIT: add greatest birdie I ever made.


I played golf twice this weekend. Shot 82 both times and wanted to break every club in my bag. I can't remember the last time I was so frustrated with my game. I'm not sure I made solid contact with my irons more then a handful of times. Probably the most frustrating thing is Matt is hitting his drivers and irons longer then me now. I try not to let him know, but it's driving me nuts so I'm over swinging trying to chase him and it's cause me to be even worse. I know i've lost something in my swing cause I'm having to up club almost 2 clubs to get certain distances. My short game is actually pretty good. Very confident in my chipping and putting could be better but is still o.k.

I had a quick fix lesson with ryan right after my round, and have some things I have to practice before my lesson on thursday. Should be better next week.

The one positive of the whole weekend, which I forgot to mention due to the ridiculous high level of frustration I experienced on the course, was the most amazing birdie I have ever made playing golf. On #15 at St. Catharines measuring I think 565 I was realing after 5 straight boogies (lol) and decided to bomb away on the par 5 to try for birdie. Of course over swinging I completely blow my drive and duck hook it hard left about 75 yards off the fairway into a fairway bunker on the left side of the 6th hole. From the bunker I attempted to hit my 3 iron rescue only to lift my head and get it out maybe 30 yards. Still playing from the 6th hole rough and behind a tree with 260 yards to the green I hit possibly the best 2 Iron rescue I have ever hit with a slight fade around the tree and fly it to the green where it landed softly and rolled about 15 feet past the hole. I made a perfect stroke on the putt and rolled it in for the craziest birdie ever and even won the skin for the hole. So there is some good shots in my bag, just need to find more of them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Oh, I can see the steam coming out of your ears when I'm making fun of you. Haha.

Seriously, you got to get that stuff out of your mind. Distance is not that big a deal and I'm sure yours will come around. You are literally swinging out of your shoes and that will NEVER result in longer shots.

The only reason I'm hitting it a bit further than I usually do is because my swing is in a decent place right now. It will turn to shit again soon and with it, my distance will be gone.

9:25 AM

 
Blogger Toast said...

I have to agree with Matt, swinging for the fences is not the key to hitting longer shots. Once in a while I forget this, but the truth is pure contact and smooth tempo almost always carry the ball further for me than swinging hard.

I hear Gary offered you shots. lol.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Harris said...

I know it's bad. Thats exactly what caused me to play like shit. I was trying to convey the fact that it was driving me nuts and I didn't control it, thats the problem.

I was also over swinging cause I had lost so much distance with every iron. again, adding to the level of frustration. Hence throwing the club when i thought I had come up short with a PW on #5

Good news is I think I got the fix, just need to hit the range and work on it this week.

10:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home