Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Stupid Trees on the Golf Course.

This past sunday was the Niagara Men's Tour spring qualifier. I've played on this tour 2 years now with little success other then qualifing last year.

This year I was determined to qualify again and improve my play in events to hopefully qualify for the following season by actually finishing in the top 35 for the season.

For the past few years Penninsula Lakes in fonthill Ont has been the first tour event and qualifier. I've been playing this course for many years with success outside of the tournaments. Not sure what it is, but the course feels good to me and I'm always confident of my abilities on that course. This sunday was no diffierent.

I started out on the toughest hole on the golf course and my nemisis for many years. Hole 1 on the quarry course is a longer par 4 with a large lake up the whole right side of the hole. Things on the right aren't usually a problem for me since I hit a natural fade, but for some reason I always seem to find that water on this hole. Regardless of this, I decide I'm going to just step up, aim to the middle of the water, and hit as good a driver as possible. This is when I knew my round was going to be different. i ended up hitting a perfect drive that soared over the edge of the water landing about 130 yards away in the best possible spot for this hole. I would hit a great PW to about 3 feet of the cup and drain the putt for birdie. Still haven't made a par on this hole, but I'm off and feeling great.

I would go on to par the next hole. However on the third I would hit a great drive, followed by a short iron to about 10 feet. I then proceded to 4 whack the green for a double. Was pissed, but held my composure with thoughts of only being 1 over. I would go on to par the next 4 holes with solid iron shots into the greens and good putts. It wasn't till the 8th hole that I felt some heat.

Up to this point I was feeling great. I honestly was having one of those days were you know your going to shoot a great score. I got ahead of myself, might be something to consider for future tournys. Off the 8th tee I hit a perfect deep drive. Chosing to layup from about 230 yards, i attempt to hit a soft 7 iron but swung way to lazy and ended up shanking it about 70 yards to the right. No problem still an easy PW into the green. However I would over swing this cause I should have used a 9 iron and found myself green side righ undre an evergreen. I would get under there and try to punch it out but missed and hit the ball about 2 feet forward. Stepped up again and hit it about 1 foot forward, still under the tree. The next one would get out but I was still about 20 feet from the pin and still chipping. Hit an awful chip, missed a 10 footer, and tapped in for a 9. I'm devestated.

From here, I was just playing to qualify. At first I thought I had a good chance to finish well and earn some good points for the season.

Starting on the 10th I made a nice par, follwed by a bogey on the toughest par 3 on the course. Stayed on track from here. Made another good par on the easy par 5 after hitting my drive right and behind a tree. Iwould chip out from there to 225. Down wind I hit a nice 5 iron to about 15 feet from the pin but just off the green. Bogey on the next hole, then par on Matts nemisis par 3. would find some trouble on the tough 15th green after a poor chip and make bogey.

16 is a decent par 5. However i actually went left on the drive and found myself on a steep hill with no view of the hole. I just swung a way and actually recovered to about 150 yards from the green. I ended up pushing my approach shot to the right but left with an easy chip. My nerves got the best of me and I stubbed it leaving myself about 15 feet for par. Missed it and took another bogey.

17 I hit a nice shot into the short but tough par 3 to give myself about 12 feet for birdie. The ball hit a divot I didn't fix on the way to the hole and came up short even though it was online. Happy to walk off with a par. So i'm sitting 10 over (Par 71) on the 18th and thinking I'm on the cut line right now. Need a birdie or par on 18 to make sure I make it.

My drive was a little right and found a bunker. I hit a nice 6 iron out of it to about 90 yards from the pin with an easy gap wedge shot to secure my spot on the tour. I was hitting great approach shots all day (except 8) but ended up shanking the ball about 15 yards straight right. From here I usedmy 60 degree wedge and gave myself about 15 feet for par. I would hit an awful putt about 4 feet past the hole, missed the come back putt and made a double to shoot 83. Super pissed right now cause I know I just blew making the cut.

Fortunatly, I got lucky. 83 was right on the cut line and I had made the tour. PLus I tied Matt and beat Cal (shot 84). BUt that sucks. I was supposed to shoot much better and felt I could have done much better. But oh well. I made the tour and i live to fight another day. Cal even made it after the commitee decided to include the guys who shot 84. So thats cool we are all on te tour this year. I would be cool if we get to play with each other at some point, but it usually doesn't work out like that.

I'm looking forward to the tour this year. All the courses on tour are ones I'm very familiar with and none of them are dog tracks like Riverview we played last year or sawmill or what ever other shit courses they pick. Next event is Grand Niagara, I like that course, and should play well. Then St. Catharines (home course), Lockness links (again, I like this course, played a lot and well there) and Whirlpool Golf course. I worked here for 4 years during university and love that course, I know it as well as I know St. Catharines and have a lot of confidence playing there. I think it's going to be good season.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Sounds like it was a good round - a quad and a four putt in the same round and you still did alright. Glad to see you and Cal make it.

By the way, my nemesis par three is the 17th, that short little one with the water on the left. Doubled it every damn time I've played it.

10:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home