Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Great weekend ends on a sour note

This past long weekend was shaping up to be a great one.

Friday I got out after work for a round of golf with my buddies preston and andy. I returned for the first time this year to Heron Point. Course was in phenominal shape, which made it even harder then usual. I struggled a little on holes 3 through 6 but managed to hack it around from there for an 81. Should have been a little better, but good enough.

Saturday I caught a bit of the Canadian Tour at our home course and then headed back out to Acton to play with Preston and Andy again at Blue Springs, another club link course. This course is pretty hard from the back tees at a 137 slope. Very tight everything. You can't spray the ball here or else you are in big trouble. Fortunatly, thats just what I did, spray the ball like crazy off the tee. I would end up shooting an 84. Preston tore it up and shot an 77. I like this course, great challenge.

Sunday I was lucky enough to pick up another round out at Whirlpool with Steve, Ryan, and Mike. I'd end up playing really well out there. With 4 birdies on the day and some solid play I was able to post a 74 from the golds out there. In process I helped Steve and I take $20 from ryan and mike.

Monday was looking to be a great day as well. Playig at St. Catharines the day after the Canadian Tour event. The course was in ridiculous shape and set up for the tourny still. 6 inches of rough around the greens, very quick greens, every thing was perfect out there. Cal and I decided to play our Langley final. It was a pretty cool match. We would go back and forth all round long. I believe we tied maybe 3 or 4 holes over the course of the match. Short version. I was leading by 1 on the 18th hole. I hit a shacky drive that left me 220 out and under some trees. I got a 5 iron to about 5 yards short of the green. Cal would find the same spot at me just on the other side of the fariway. All i needed was an up and down for the win. I didn't hit a very good chip and found myself with about 12 feet for par. Cal had maybe 8. I left mine an inch from the hole. Cal ended up draining his to tie the match up. We played 18 over again as a playoff. This time I would bomb a drive almost to the cart path leaving myself 120 yards out. Cal was way left behind some trees. Cal would hit a great shot to about 6 feet for birdie from here. Fortunatly, i followed him putting it about 6 inches infront of him. Cal goes first and lips out the birdie putt. I did the exact same thing, still tied. We then played the first hole as a second playoff. I put mine on in 2 with about 20 feet to the pin. Cal was a little right and short of the green and had about a 10 foot chip. I just barely missed my putt rolling by 3 or 4 feet. Cal chipped out and almost drained it for the win. This is where is got sour. I lined my easy putt up, 4 feet (at most) up hill straight in, and I pushed it right missing the putt. Cal tapped in his 8 incher for the win.

I blew it. On a 4 foot putt. I was devestated. Couldn't even sleep last night thinking about it. So many chances to win. 15 I missed an easy birdie putt that could have given me an extra hole up. 17 I duffed my tee shot about half way up the hole befor leaving my approach way short making a bogey. Could have made either putt on 18. Absolutly should have made the putt on the 20th hole. But of course Cal could have done a hundred things that would have given him the win. So could of should of would of. I lost he won, simple as that.

Hopefully next year I can get back in the finals.

All said, the golf season was a good one. I improved my game by dropping from a 5 handicapp to a 3. Made the cut on the mens tour, and reached my first finals of the Langley cup. Would rather have won the Langley but got to look at the positives.

Congrats out to Cal for winning his second cup in 3 years. At least I lost to the match play master.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

It was an interesting match to watch. You guys both grinded really well without your 'A' games.

Fun to watch. Great year man - Cal is right, you've surprised a lot of people this year.

9:20 AM

 
Blogger Harris said...

Thanks for the compliment. I am happy that I played better this year. Just wish I had more to show for it then a lower handicap.

1:34 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I’m really impressed together with your writing skills as well as with the layout for your weblog. Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, I also have information about the best new Nitesh Caesars Palace

3:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home