Monday, June 04, 2007

Weekend Update

Thanks to some great weather this weekend I was able to get in 3 rounds of golf. Although the golf didn't go so well, it was still nice to get back on the course after a 2 week layoff. The post is long and my spelling and grammer is probably worse then usual due to being to lazy to read it over.

On friday i took off from work at 3:00 to meet my buddy Tim and Bobby to play 18 at St. Catharines. Both are just average players who like to drink more then they like to play well so this was a very casual round. Without trying very hard at all i managed a 83. Basically the same score as when I do try, so doesn't say much for my game. Spent most of this round talking to Bobby about his job, a British Marine. That made for some really cool stories. Nothing really exciting here other then a relaxing afternoon on the course.

Saturday I joined up with the regulars. Playing with Matt and Gerry saturday morning I found myself playing poorly as usual. Except this had more to do with showing up to the tee still wasted from the night before. I think i shot another 83 or 82 on saturday. Very uneventful. Went through the motions and produced the same old B.S. score.

On sunday I played my first match for the Langly Cup. This is a match play tournament held at our club. This is my third year in the competition. First year I lost to the Club Champion in the second round on the 18th hole. Last year I got my ass kicked by one of the guys we play with. This year I got matched up with a younger guy named Adam R. Adam just started playing with our group this summer. I think the first day he played with us he was low 70's or something like that so I was expecting a tough match. We are both playing at a 6, so there was no shots either way. First hole I watched him shank one in the trees and I was left, on the side of a bunker. From 150 I hit 9 iron and came up short and to the right of the pin. I made a nice up and down for par and adam made 5 so I'm up 1.

Second hole I bomb a drive up the left side of the fairway. Adam hits left again and actually looses his ball. I made boogie and won the hole. Up 2.

Third hole I go right, almost into the 8th hole bunker. Adam goes left again but has an easy shot to the green. I have to hit 160 over the trees to a back pin. I hit a nice 8 iron to about 25 feet and make the 2 putt for par. Adam duffed his second and I'm up 3.

4th hole par 3 we both hit it just short and to the right. he made the up and down to win the hole. We tie the 5th hole. I'm still up 2

6th hole i drive to the bunker on the right. Adam drives way right into 15 fairway. I got some huge luck here hitting out of the sand. Somehow i hit on top of the lip of the bunker which kicked it up just in between 2 branches of a tree 15 yards away setting up an easy 125 yard shot to a back pin. Adam hits his second in the water basically eliminating himself from the hole again. I hit a nice PW to the back pin and easily 2 putt for par, back to up 3.

I hit a 6 iron from 175 on the 7th. I'm pin high about 15 feet to the right of the pin. Adam hit something, and it went right into the water, again. I make another 2 putt for par, up 4.

On number 8 I hit a tree about 150 yards off the tee and have a 180 shot just to get down the hill. I didn't use enough club, not believing gary about the distance, and find myself in the middle of the hill. I push my PW right with a tough chip over the trap to a tight pin. I ended up with a 6 to Adams par and i'm back to +3.

On number 9 I stripe my drive from the black tees to 150 yards. Thats HUGE. I put a bad swing on my second and ended up in the right bunker. Ended up making a very nice sand save to half the hole.

I bombed another huge drive on the 10th, leaving myself 205 into the wind. adam is off looking for his ball in the trees, after duffing one trying to get out of the trees. So a par is winning this hole. I go for the eagle anyways. I hit a great 3/4 3 iron to the back of the green. Missed the eagle by inches and tapped in for birdie. Up 4.

On 11 I hit a very modest 5 iron to 160 yards. Never really played the hole like that, but it was safe and I was actually trying to get a 9 iron or 8 iron in my hand. Adam hit right and out of bounds, so this was another win for me. I actually ended up hitting a very thin 7 iron that skidded to a stop about 8 feet from the pin. Again missing by inches for birdie, i tap in a par. I had a lot of these inches misses. I have to find a way to work on my putting.

12th I hit a 6 iron about 1 foot off the front of the green. Didn't matter, adam hit in the water again. I was 15 feet from the pin and still made a freaking boogie. But win the hole again and I'm up 6.

On my dreaded nemisis 13th hole i skied my 2 iron rescue and had to hit a gap wedge to get out from behind the trees to the right. Adam was left and managed to duff another shot. I hit another gap wedge from 115. Adam hit another duff before eventually getting to the back of the green. The pin was in the middle so his putt to extend the match was pretty much unmakable. I 2 putted for a boogie to win the match 7 and 5.

Although I'm happy to win the first round it wasn't exactly a tough match. I did play well though. I was only 5 over at this point. I felt good with my swing and everything so i pushed on trying to post a good score for the day. Maybe finally get under 80 for a round this year. Made boogie on 14, par on 15, par on 16, boogie on 17 and i'm standing on the 18th tee needing a par to shot 79. No problem you say. Not exactly. I get lazy on my drive and hook it over the fence on the highway. I get very angry and go to slam my driver but manage to stop myself and release the driver before i hit the ground. Unfortunetly that wasn't enough and i snapped my shaft. Heres the commentary from me just as i hit the ball, "FUCK THATS GONE, FUCK I BROKE MY FUCKING CLUB", all this was screamed while the ball was still in the air. Pissed off I blast a 2 iron rescue right down the middle, and go a little right with the 4th shot, make a 6 to shot 81. I was so pissed. Plus Adam was the big winner anyways yesterday. He got a date with the hottest halfway hut chick ever. I was told on friday she had a boyfriend, so i was pissed this happened. Doesn't matter, I'm cutting his grass for sure next week. He's got nothing on me. He's taking her to the Valley Inn for the first date. How fucking lame is that?

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

LOL!!! Best post ever just for the last paragraph!

His current girlfriend is smokin hot too by the way, as I saw on Facebook - you can always take his throwaways...

9:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home