Friday, May 04, 2007

Game PLan

The first qualifing event for the Niagara Mens tour is tomorrow at Lookout Point in fonthill. It's a classic golf course, probably one of the best private courses in our area, and should prove to be very challenging. I've played quite a few times, never that well, but I feel with how i'm playing right now, i should be able to post a decent score. My only concern is teeing off at 3:00 pm. Not once was a round last year finished in under 5 hours, and thats all the time I will have before it gets dark.

So what the game plan you ask? Well I'll tell you. First of all, I must concentrate on 3/4 shots for accuracy. The greens are very small and quick and most greens require being in the right spot or else there will be trouble. I must remember to club up 1 on all shots outside of 100 to 120 yards.

Secondly, i want to continue to be aggressive, but conservative at the same time. I know for sure there is one par 5 where you can get there in 2, but the green is tiny sloping massivly backwards, with bunkers all around it. I will be laying up on that hole for sure. Also I don't plan on hitting driver on every hole. Although my driver has been the most solid club for me this year, I don't think it will be necesasry to blast one every hole. I'm looking for pars tomorrow, not birdies.

The most important part about tomorrow for me will be the par 3's. I feel that if I can make a par on all the par 3's i'll be in great shape. While this is the desired result on any course, it's especially true at lookout. Note to self, hit a 3/4 shot of all par 3 tees.

Other then that, putting will be tough all day. Lookout has a reputation for illusions on the the green. Many times you'll look at the putt and think it's downhill only to find out after you hit it that it was uphill. Don't ask me how they made this possible, but it happens quite a bit out there. I'll be drilling my dad (member there) with questions tonight to try and get a better feel for the course. Also, out there you never get a flat a lie. It will be important to compensate for that on every shot.

Motto of the day will be think before you hit, something I have troubles with.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Good luck tomorrow Harry. Just play smart and you'll be just fine.

11:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home