Monday, May 07, 2007

I blew it

I followed my game plan on saturday perfectly, for 1 hole.

In the saturday qualifier for the Niagara Mens Tour at Lookout Point I got absolutly killed by the extremely tough conditions. Things started off o.k. on the first hole. I drove far right into the 10th fairway, but far enough right that I was able to hit it back over the tall pines and still make a boogie. I wasn't upset with this cause i thought I could get it back. Then on the second hole of the day the wheels fell off. The same thing happened to me last year at Grand Niagara. The first par 3 of the day, one of the holes I felt was going to be important, i duffed my drive, the second, shot, and the third, to take a 7. At this point I had to completely abandon my game plan. Except on the very next hole, I duffed my drive. I made 2 nice shots after that to get to the green but couldn't scramble for a par. On number 4 I hit a nice drive down the middle to 140, hit pitching wedge to about 25 feet from the pin, and then made a long putt for birdie. Alright, i'm back in this. Then another par 3, i managed to make a 5. 5 holes in, 2 par 3's, and I'm out of the tournament. I started to push for birdies which made things even worse and the next thing I know, i'm finished 9 holes with 1 birdie, but no pars, and I shot 50. I haven't shot that bad on 9 holes in many years. I guess it was the nerves.

Finally on #10 I made a par. Thinking I could make the back 9 a respectable score and come in around 90, i was brought back to earth by the 11th par 3 where i managed to make an 8. I couldn't believe it. Completely lost composure and i totally gave up. The next hole was a long par 5. I hit a nice drive, followed by a 240 yards 4 iron rescue to about 15 feet left of the stick. I made a great chip off the side of a hill and it stopped about a foot from the hole for a tap in birdie. after that I actually started to play a little better. I can't remember exactly but I think i made 4 out of the next 6 pars. With 2 more bogies, I found myself at 95. So disapointing.

My driver had been so good up untill this round and all of a sudden i lost it. I couldn't hit it if my life depended on it. I probably should have just abandoned it, but because I was so far in the hole I guess I was just trying to get a wedge in my hands on every hole cause that was the only part of my game that was good. Needless to say, I have to play much better this sunday at Penn Lakes. It's a really short but tough course. I plan on playing just like Hunter Pointe. I'm going to hit my 2 iron rescue off every tee. Just play a safe conservative round, and just trust my short game to save me. I think I'm going to have to post a good score like 80 in order to have a chance at making the tour. I'll be pretty disapointed if I don't make it.

Sunday golf was a little better. Playing a St. Catharined with Matt and Cal on a very nice sunny day. I was up late watching the De La Hoya vs Mayweather fight saturday night and woke up not really feeling the golf. Luckly there was a frost delay, and I was still able to make it on time to play. I physically showed up, but mentally wasn't there untill the 6th hole. I went double, double, double, boogie, boogie, to start. I was so freaking pissed. Somehow i turned it around. Finished the front 9, par, birdie (2 or 3 inches from a hole in one), par, par. 43 on the front. Then opened the back with another birdie, but then made boogie, double. Luckly I made another birdie at 16 and finshed 39 on the back for an 82. Pretty good considering my horrible start.

What did I learn from this? i'm not as good as Matt and i can't show up 2 minutes before my tee time and still play. I have to warm up a little before playing. Right now though, I'm thinking about next week. I just want to concentrate, be conservative, and amke the cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home