Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I pulled a huge Greg Norman

At the conclusion of a glorious weekend of 4 days of golf I blew it big time. Playing Cherry Hill in Fort Erie monday afternoon with Matt, Cal, and Preston, i was poised to shoot one of my best rounds ever only to see it fade away with one relatively simple chip.

I started of better then i could have ever imagined yesterday. Cherry Hill is a classic private club beauty. With harldy any sign of people actually playing there (no divots or ball marks) this has to be one of the best maintained courses I play. The greens are like putting on marble, and your lucky to find yourself with a straight putt. Still I played great, for awhile.

I started the first 8 holes with out a blemish on the scorecard, all pars. Just one after another. Great drive off every tee, perfect little chip shots landing under the hole everytime, and solid putts for birdie, leaving tap ins for par. My only boogie was on number 9, par 3, after hitting a sub-par chip for my second.

On 10, i bomb another drive, made the easy par. 11 which is a longer par 3 with a crazy green, i hit a perfect 6 iron about 6 inches from the cup for birdie. Number 12, i drive just left of the fairway and with 260 left to go I blast a 2 iron rescue. Leaving myself 10 yards from the green and a chip over the bunker, i'm thinking birdie no problem. Except just before i hit it, i tell the guys to watch this go in the middle of the trap. Thinking nothing of it, i duff my chip and i'm in the bunker. Duff it out of there, chip on, 2 putt and double boogie. Now i'm 2 over. No big deal, i can control this.

On the 12th, i blast a drive, over the the road, out of bounds. 3rd shot from the tee, leave myself with nothing barely staying in bounds again. Make another double.

14, i hit an awful drive that finds it way to the base of a tree on the right side of it. For a right hander this was impossible. I turn the club over and try to hit a left handed shot like Matt. I make contact, but the ball bounces up and hits me in the chest. I make another double. I'm tilting so fucking hard right now.

The big thing about this day was the Happy Jacks Open. Preston and I team up to play Matt and Cal for dinner at possibly the best chinese food in the world. When i was playing well, it was looking like I was going to best the 2 of them all by myself. On the 15th Tee, we are 2 down with 4 to play.

All 4 of us hit bunkers off our drive. I'm in the right side bunker, fade, the others are in the left side, draw. I hit a pretty good shot to about 15 feet with a makable birdie putt. Matt hits hit to about 40 feet with a near impossible birdie putt. I watch as matt strokes his up the hill, along the ridge, down the hill with a left to right break. The ball hits the cup, spins to the back, freezes on the edge for about 5 seconds and drops in the cup. No one will ever make that putt again, but Matt the freaking luck box that he is makes it. I'm in total disbelief and make an awful stroke at my putt and we are 3 down, 3 to play.

Still super angry over that putt, I blast my PW over the green of the par 3 16th 140 yards, and make another double boogie. Match over, we loose, I am so pissed I think about which club i need the least so i can break over me knee.

I didn't break any, but I did blow it big time. Even on the 12th hole, and I go 9 over for the last 7 holes to shoot 81. Such a let down. Everything was going so well, and I just fell apart. Story of my golf game this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home