Monday, August 06, 2007

Not my best performance

Sadly enough, I played awful this weekend and was a complete non-factor in the Club Championships. The buildup to this weekend was looking so promising this year. My last 10 rounds or so have been very good by comparison to the rest of the year. I had maybe 2 out of 10 rounds above 80 and seemed to have all facets of my game in check. None the less, the preasure of tournament play got to me again, i guess.

I went into saturday's round feeling pretty good. Playing with a familiar partner, Brian B, I figured I would be relaxed and in control of my game and post a decent score. After getting off to a miserable start, duffing my first shot of the day 15 yards off the tee deck, I knew I was in for it. I didn't get upset or discouraged, but something just didn't feel right and I couldn't fix it untill it was to late. I just had some nerves while I was standing over the ball. After parring the second hole I thought maybe I was back, but duffed another drive on the 3rd hole. This time loosing it in the creek, and eventually making a double boogie. Bad shot on 4th caused me to chip it way past the hole, followed by a 3 putt for another double. That was about it. The rest of the round went bad, and I shot a 84. Out of the tournament.

So i showed up sunday just happy to have a tee time aswell as playing with Cal and another friend Matt N. Thinking i could just post a good score as a respect thing, i failed myself again. Supe slow play, and i guess nerves again, caused me to play even worse then saturday. I shot a horrible 47 on the front, including a 3 putt from 2 feet on number 8 taking a 6 instead of birdie. Got to the back nine and played the first 7 holes 1 under par. Then boogied the 17th after blasting my 90 foot putt past the hole and missed the comeback. Then for only the second time this year, i hit my tee shot over the highway, luckly not breaking a club this time. Hit a bad approach shot for my 4th shot and ended up making a 7 on the hole. Shot a 86. I am very disapointed in myself.

It wasn't the missing the cut, or not winning the tournament, which I new I wouldn't win anyways. It was the fact that I seem to be a weekend golfer instead of a tournament player. I've been in 3 tournys this year and sucked in all of them. i don't want to be like that. I guess thats part of my problem. I put to much preasure on myself and blow it when it counts. Hopefully with another year of experience under my belt i will play better next year. Still sucks big time. Atleast I still have the Langly Cup to play for, even though my next match is against one of the best players in the club. Hopefully I play better that day then I did this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home