Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What an awful long weekend

So as the seasons seems to be coming and going a month later then years past, another May 24 long weekend passed with shit weather. saturday it rained, sunday it rained some more, and monday was really cold and windy. What a sweet weekend to play 3 rounds of golf. I guess I shouldn't complain, atleast anymore then I did all weekend, I was playing golf instead of sitting on the couch the whole day.

I showed up to the course bright and early on saturday all ready to test drive my new swing changes. I could hardly sleep friday night thinking about how well I was going to play this weekend now that I could hit the ball again. Hard to day if I actually did play better this weekend. My scores wouldn't really say so, but how much the weather was to blame for my poor scores is debatable.

Saturday was a normal small group of myself, Cal, Bernie, and Gary. I got off to a rocky start taking three shots to get to the 150 yard marker on the first hole. So far the swing changes weren't working very well. Taking a triple on the first hole would make the day a trying one. I believe I was bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey, on the first 5 holes untill I decided to actually start playing. As i started to get in a groove and my swing was doing what it wa supposed to, i finished the round 1 over to shoot 80. we got rained on twice, once having to find shelter to avoid getting struck by lightning, and just played through the second time. I thought this was s decent round, good progress coming off last weekend with something to look forward to for the next 2 days. I played well enough to almost beat Bernie in a straight up match play. I was 4 down walking up the 9th fairway and managed to get it all the way back to 1 down standing on the 18th tee after birdie on the 17th. Only problem was I over swung for maybe the second time of the day and hit a big huge fade over the fence and out of bounds. Very disapointing after grinding so hard for 11 previous holes.

Sunday was a doomed day from the start. Waking up to cold and cloudy skies I pretty much knew we were in for a rainy day on the course. So i chose my group wisely making sure I would be able to play through it without my group quiting. Again, Bernie, Cal, and myself played, this time being joined by Jon. We cleared with Jon before hand that he would play through the rain. On the 11th hole the rain started coming down pretty hard. Of course I look over to see Gary and the rest of the group walking in as the rain stopped half way down the hole. Gary pulled the same shit on saturday so wasn't a big surprise. We continued on in hopes of the rain stopping, but it wasn't meant to be. Playing the whole back 9 in the rain sucked, and it was cold. Again, very difficult scoring conditions, and I was only able to shoot 83. Thinking this was just awful I realized everyone else i nthe group was just as high, even Bernie, so I guess it wasn't that bad. I had challenged Bernie again, this time getting it to 2 down standing on the 17th tee, but we both parred and bernie won again.

Monday was slightly sunny at times but super windy and freezing. With a triumphant return of the greatest golfer I know (Matt) to links it was a new day where I was sure I was going to post a decent score to secure my spot in the Langley Cup. Forcing everyone to play the black tees on this crappy day also probably secured my spot at the biggest asshole in the morning group, oh well. Started out pretty good untill the 5th hole where I made a triple bogey. I also made a double on the 18th (9th hole of the day) hitting O.B. again to shoot 41. Figured I would just par out the back and post a 77, but of course that wasn't meant to be either. The wind and cold proved to much for myself and I ended up shooting another 40 on the back. 81 isn't going to get me in the the Cup, so next saturday I'll have to play much better. Should be better weather so I'll have a shot.

All in all, the swing was drastically improved. Distance was back, I hit the ball well except for maybe 2 or 3 over swings, and I have to continue to concentrate on turning over my hands on the follow through and making sure to fully rotate my upper body through the ball with a nice finish. I am positive under better conditions I could have scored better, so I'm really looking forward to this weeks Niagara Mens tour event at Grand Niagara. I've played the course numerous times. Last year I broke 80 out there in a business round of golf, and I played it 2 years ago in a Tour event, so I'm very familiar with the course. I'll get out to the range once or twice this week, weather permitting, and take one more lesson from Ryan on thursday. This is going to be my best showing at a tour event. Mark it down. I WILL BREAK 80.

In other golf news, my quest for being a 2 still isn't going as planned. The lack of 70's in the handicapp report is seriously hurting my chances at this point. With only 2 scores out of maybe 20 rounds this year, I'm making this much more difficult then it should be. If only I was as good as the best golfer I know. I wanna be, I wanna be, I wanna be like Matt, like Matt, if I could be like Matt.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

What? No talk about getting your ass handed to you in the bowling alley by your lady friend?

That makes it TWO sports (squash/bowling) that you've been reduced to tears by the fairer sex.

I just hope that the next time we play golf, you bet ME that you'll cook me dinner if I beat you.

I do like me some seafood pasta! Word!

9:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home