Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Great weekend of Golf

Yes, it was great, but my play was horrible.

This past weekend was a doozy on the course. With perfect weather all weekend I was able to squeeze out 4 rounds of golf. Yes, it's nice to have no kids and a wonderful wife who doesn't care how much golf I play just yet.

Friday afternoon after a ridiculously stressful week of work I called up Preston to make my first trip of the year to Heron Point in Ancaster. I love that course and try to play every so often. Easy enough as Preston is a member of Club Link and always willing to play in the afternoons. The course was in phenomenal shape. The greens were better than I've seen in past years, the whole course was firm, and the fescue was starting to grow in. I started off making a bogey on the first hole. Followed it up with a par on the second and a Birdie on the tough par 3 third. The wind was howling dead into us on the long 600 yard par 5 4th and I had a little trouble around the green making bogey. I'd bogey the 6th as well to be 2 over on the 7th tee. We then got held up behind a really slow group. So we jumped to the 12th tee and planned to play through 18, start on 10, play 11, 12 and go back to 7 and finish the 18 holes. Turned out to be a good plan as we didn't see another group and finished our 18 holes. Unfortunately the change in order and increased pace kind of got to me and I would end up dropping a bunch of strokes. I couldn't concentrate. Made a 4 double bogeys on the round. That sucked. Ended the 18 shooting a 81. Very disappointed. But was a perfect day on the course, had some good playing partners and got to hang out with Preston.

Saturday was normal day at the club. Thought I would pick up my game on the home course. Wasn't meant to be. I was fine through the first 7 holes, but made a dumb mistake going for the 8th green from around 250 yards and lost my ball right. Took me a few holes to regain things, but couldn't sustain it. Shot 82 which is horrible for where i want to be. Nothing really seemed to work well but nothing was that bad. Still not how i wanted to play.

Sunday was the first Mens tour event of the season. Playing Peninsula Lakes a usual. And as usual I stunk up the joint. I seemed to always play poorly in this event on this course. Things looked to be going pretty well in the early holes. I managed to scramble and grind my way to a 4 over after a birdie on the 12th hole. Things got ugly on the 13th. I would end up with a double bogey on 13, double bogey on 14, and TRIPLE bogey on 15. Horrible, truly horrible. I'm super pissed right now at 11 over par. So i picked up a beer on the way to the 16th hole. Proving i didn't care anymore and finished the last 3 holes even. Made a crap par on the 16th par 5 after being on the back fringe in 2. Ya, 560 yards in 2 shots and 15 feet in 3 (got to work on short game). Made a boring bogey on the short par 3 17th with a crappy putt (got to work on short game). Made my second birdie of the day on 18. My putting is a problem. But only from 4 feet in, which is embarrassing for my level of golf. I gave up at least 3 strokes to missed putts inside 4 feet.

Monday I took a day off work to play the GAO Better ball qualifier with Matt. This year we headed out to Scarborough Golf and Country club. As you know I'm horrible at the reviews. I will say this about the course, one of the best I've ever been on. Seriously. Amazing, beautiful, perfect course. Matt will do a write up about it, but it was simply a perfect course. I'm going to say it's definitely in my top 5 played and I'm considering it for the top 3. Will definitely do what I have to to get out there again. I don't feel as though I played as well as I could have again this year. And again we missed out from the alternate qualifier (which usually always plays in the main event) by 1 stroke. Worst of it is we had to card a freaking TRIPLE bogey on the 5th hole par 3. Short story, we both hit horrible drives, I lost mine right, Matt lost his left. I dropped and fucked up on the green and 3 putted for a 6 as Matt watched with smoke coming out of his ears. Even worse, we were 2 under up to this hole after I made EAGLE on the opening hole. We grinded away but it just wasn't meant to be. My putting is the biggest issue. I have to work on my putting to have any success this year.

Great weekend none the less. Played in short 3 of 4 days on May 1st, should have been all 4 days. This week looks nice, I hope to get out after work a few days and work on my putting. i have to be dedicated to practicing my putting and short game this year. If i do, i will achieve a lot of the goals I set for myself, most importantly, Top 3 in club championships and beat Matt every round this summer. But he got me at Scarborough, so will have to start that one over again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

2-2-1 now ;) Beat you at Pen Lakes and Scarboro and tied at St. Catharines on Saturday. Haha.

Only steam coming out of my ears was the fact I couldn't find my ball after a five minute search and was out of the hole. Should have reloaded to take some pressure off you. Oh well...next year perhaps...

9:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home