Monday, June 28, 2010

Getting GOOOOOOD again.

This weekend was a success on the course. After an almost 2 week layoff since the marathon golf trip, i was ready to get back out there.

Saturday was spent with Cal and Thane. This was a pretty boring round. Basically spent the time talking with cal about the trip, selling him on the amazing experience of playing minimalist golf. Anyways, got a round the course pretty easily. A few hiccups here and there, but came out with a 76. 37 on the first 9 (played back first), 39 on the second 9. Swing felt good. The greens were awful due to them being punched earlier in the week, but over all good. round.

Sunday was my first match for the Langley Cup match play tournament. I was playing Gary P a long time playing partner that is known for being a solid player. I would have my work cut out for me on this one.

Started well with a par and win the first hole. Things got a little out of control from here. Standing at my second shot on the second hole i told Steve and Ryan that I was going to jump out to a 3 or 4 stroke lead by the 6th hole, I was just feeling good today. I'd do my best to make that come true by making birdie on 2 to go 2 up. Lost the third with a bogey, 1 up. Halved the 4th. I'd make a great birdie on 5 to go 2 up. Birdie 7 to go 3 up. Birdie 8 to go 4 up. Tied 9. I shot a 33 (my all time low for 9 holes) and was 4 up. Gary was in shock i think after shooting 37 and finding himself in such a hole.

On 10 i was pin high in 2, but screwed up around the green and made a par and only tied the hole. Think this through my rhythm off as i went down hill from here. tied 11 with pars. 12 we tied again with bogeys. Gary should have been taking holes from me here. And I'm losing my strokes to stay under par for the first time in 3 years. 13 was a mess. i would go into the left trap green side and shlubbed it out, schlubbed one on the green, and made a long put for 5. gary won the hole. I'm 3 up and 1 under for the round. 14 i over hit the green with a 7 iron. couldn't get up and down, gary did and I'm 2 up and even on the round. On 15 after driving into the 6th fairway I finally hit a solid shot again after what seemed like an eternity. I was able to get on GIR and 2 putted for a par. Gary had a 4 footer for par and some how the ball went in the hole and popped out. Felt awful, but it happens. I'd take the hole and go back up 3. I believed that I could just par the next 3 holes and win the match obviously at 3 up with 3 to play, make gary birdie. 16 I hit 3 safe shots to get to the green and below the hole. Lagged a makable birdie putt up to the 4 or 6 inches. Gary missed his long birdie putt and conceded the hole to me. Game over, 3 and 2.

I was reeling a bit for those 3 holes. Struggled to gain my composure which is weird cause I really like match play and don't tend to get to nervous. Oh well, happy to be through to next round. Looking forward to playing my scratch bracket this month as I had a bye through the first round. I have a feeling the scratch bracket is gong to take over as the most desirable trophy at the club. Time will tell. I for one would prefer winning that one, but then again I would prefer to win any tournament.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Cal said...

You're just lucky you don't have to contend with me this year. :) GL on taking one or both cups down though Harry.

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Matt said...

Good round and congrats.

11:53 AM

 
Blogger Harris said...

Thanks guys. But I think one of a few things are going to have to happen in order for me to win.

A) Matt gets his handicapp down so low that he has to give me 4 shots.

B) Matt has his clubs stolen, again.

C) Matt has his clubs lost or broken while travelling

D) Matt's new putter gets infected with the disease his last 3 putters had.

1:24 PM

 
Blogger Matt said...

Well, if you keep shooting 72, you'll be right with me handicap-wise. So no advantage there...

And for the sake of clarity, please acknowledge that the Rossa putter that got stolen was NOT infected with the same disease as Whisper and Scotty Cameron...

2:38 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I really impressed together with your writing skills as well as with the layout for your blog. Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, I also have information about the new project Nirmal Olympia.

2:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your post, it’s very interesting and useful for us, this may be very helpful to all.. Microtek Greenburg

1:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home